FC United of Manchester Smaller Text Larger Text

FC United draw eight goal thriller with Worksop + HIGHLIGHTS


FC United remain fifth in the Evo-Stik Premier Division after a thrilling 4-4 draw with fourth placed Worksop Town at Gigg Lane on Saturday afternoon courtesy of a goal from Greg Daniels, a Tom Greaves brace and a Matthew Wolfenden screamer.

The promotion chasing Reds were just five minutes away from victory after overturning the Tigers’ 2-0 half-time lead but a late Leon Mettam effort ensured honours were even.

After a poor first half, Karl Marginson’s side pulled the match back to 2-2 within just six minutes of the second half through Daniels and Greaves, only for the visitors to edge in front again on the hour via a controversial penalty.

Unperturbed, FC United hit back again six minutes later with Greaves firing in his second equaliser of the match and it looked like Wolfenden had grabbed all three points when he lashed home a long range volley with ten minutes to go.

However, Worksop dug deep and managed to gain a share of the spoils with their fourth goal five minutes from time through Mettam’s second of the match.

It was a poor first half showing from United, who didn’t really create any clear cut opportunities and found themselves a goal down after a Worksop corner from the left found Tom Denton unmarked at the far post for the easiest of goals.

The lead was doubled for the visitors with just five minutes remaining in the first half as Jack Muldoon slotted the ball under Jon Worsnop and just seconds before the break it could have been worse as Denton got his head to a rebound inside the United six yard box and somehow put it wide.

A third goal would have surely killed the game off, but after the first half showing it would have taken the most positive thinking FC fan to think we were still in the contest. But a blistering start to the second half saw United level within six minutes.

The Reds attacked immediately and the ball found Daniels who fired home to get United back in the game, and almost immediately from the restart United attacked again and when Astley Mulholland fired the ball across the face of goal, Greaves was never going to miss and levelled the scores.

The two quick goals fired both the fans and the players up and the game was really there for the taking. But, against the run of the second half play, it was Worksop again who took the lead through Mettam, who converted a contentious looking penalty.

It wasn’t long though before United again levelled as Greaves took on his man on the right hand side of the box and fired into the net to make it 3-3, and swing the momentum back into United’s favour.

It really was a relentless second half showing from United, and there wasn’t much time to catch your breath, as the Reds kept coming forward looking for the victory.

United took the lead for the first time with just ten minutes when Wolfenden’s volley from just outside the box went above the Worksop ‘keeper and into the net. A fantastic finish from Wolfy had put United in prime position for the most unlikeliest of victories after a disappointing first half.

But that victory was taken away when Mettam fired home for his second of the game to make it 4-4 with fewer than five minutes left on the clock.

It was one of those games where it seemed either team could still grab the three points, even with such little time left on the clock. Mike Norton almost made it 5-4 with just seconds left but his header went agonisingly wide of the far post. That proved to be the last incident of an action packed game.

A fantastic second half performance from United meant that they went home with a point when in truth after the first half they shouldn’t have even been in the game. A real measure of how good a second half performance the men in red gave is that it could and possibly should have been all three points.

The Reds are now unbeaten in eight games in all competitions and make the trip to third placed AFC Fylde next weekend knowing a win can close the gap between the two teams.

Man of the match: Tom Greaves – Great second half performances from every player in red, but Greaves’ two goals made the difference and got United level on two different occasions.

Report by Craig Phillips

News ID ~ 5244 First Posted ~ 16:57 Sat 7 Dec 2013 Last Updated ~ 17:39 Mon 9 Dec 2013

Football Club United of Manchester, Hope Mill, 113 Pollard Street, Ancoats, Manchester M4 7JA
FC United Office Email -
FC United Office Fax - 0161 273 7598
FC United Office Phone - 0161 273 8950 Free Text Message Service - 07786 200 353
Português (br)
Русский язык
127 Club Members
Academic Papers
Advanced News Search
Away Grounds
Away Tickets & Travel
Club Manefesto
Code of Conduct
Complaints Procedure
Contact FC United
Co-owners' Area
Development Fund
Doing Things Differently
Election Policy
Equal Opportunities
Ex-FC Utd Players
FC United Blog
FC United Shop
FCUth Website
FCUM Radio
Fixtures / Results
Friendly Criteria
Home Tickets
Info for Visiting Fans
IPS Rules
League Table
Man of the Match
Match Day Photos
Members' Forum
News Archive
News Search
Old Boys
Punk Football
Press Releases
Season Tickets
Stats / Records
Supporters' Groups
The Pink
Text Service
Web Archive
Who Are We?
You Tube
Copyright (c) 2005-2013 FC United of Manchester (except fixtures, tables and images used by kind permission of their respective rights holders). All rights reserved.