fcum.tv UniBond LeagueSHOP
 Forward Play

United fail to sparkle

Ten man FC United dropped two vital points in their push for promotion as relegation threatened Buxton turned up to Gigg Lane with a spring in their step.

To make matters worse Jerome Wright was sent off for reacting violently to a late challenge and manager Karl Marginson was banished to the stand as the game ended in a stormy fashion.

Buxton had been worth their half-time lead after going ahead on seven minutes through Mark Reed. However, United hit back six minutes into the second half when centre-back Adam Tong headed his first goal for the club to level things up.

Despite being roared on by a 2,158 strong crowd, United couldn’t break Buxton down and the Derbyshire side held on for a draw.

The Reds continued their unwanted habit of conceding an early goal at home and this time it was Mark Reed who capitalised. Buxton’s captain Michael Towey played a bouncing through ball to the striker and he unleashed a rasping shot into the top right hand corner which Sam Ashton couldn’t keep out despite getting a hand to.
United could have levelled 15 minutes later was it not for Buxton’s Tommy Agus who produced a superb block to stop Lomax equalising.

Buxton should have made it 2-0 when Danny Reet played the ball through to leave Gavin Knight one-on-one with Ashton. The Buxton striker hit the ball hard and Ashton managed to parry it narrowly wide.

In the 32nd minute the Buxton keeper produced a fine save off a deflected Simon Garner free-kick to keep the scores level. A hand ball appeal by the Reds that seemed to strike Buxton’s Grant Black on arm was not given and went out for a corner. Chadwick could have given the first half a twist if only the ball had finished the other side of the post on the resulting corner.

United came out strong in the second half with lots of possession and a corner from Carlos Roca in 51st minute was headed powerfully home by defender Tong to grab the equaliser.

The Reds could have taken the lead five minutes later but a hooked shot from Simon Carden was cleared off the line by Buxton’s Gregg Anderson. The game began to become more open with Buxton starting to make Ashton work in United’s goal.
In the 76th minute a dipping shot by Mark Reed left the young shot stopper scrambling back to tip the ball over the bar. Five minutes later Garner conceded a free-kick in a dangerous area just outside the box which resulted in a booking. Buxton defender Agus hit a low shot which was well saved by Ashton.

The game looked to be petering out into a draw but there was still enough time for more drama. Wright was caught late by a Buxton defender and a scuffle ensued. The referee gave both players a yellow card and it was the United winger’s second of the match so he was dismissed, opting to watch the rest of the match in the Main Stand.

Moments later, manager Karl Marginson also received his marching orders after having a quiet word to one of the referee’s assistants about the incident.

The two red cards topped off a frustrating day for United which saw them drop more points at home to lower placed opposition – delivering another blow to their promotion hopes.

Report by Joel Duncan.

02-03-2009 at 18:48

Sign up for the free txt service. Send FCUNITED to 07786 200353

461 Standing Orders have been set up so far, raising 53,148 for our Development Fund.
FCUM Juniors
Buy At