fcum.tv Development Fund
UniBond League NPL TV

Reds dump holders out of cup

An impressive FC United caused a major upset by dumping Manchester Premier Cup champions Droylsden out of the competition in the first round at the Butcher’s Arms with goals from Cayne Hanley, Aaron Burns and Rory Patterson.

The rampant Reds raced to a three goal lead and it was only two late strikes, one coming from the penalty spot, that restored some respectability to the score line and spared the Blue Square Premier side from a real embarrassment.

As the game started both teams looked to take the game by the scruff of the neck and the first chance fell to Droylsden’s Jamie McGuire who saw his chip over Sam Ashton’s head cleared coolly off the line by Rob Nugent.

United looked dangerous especially down the left and after Jerome Wright attempted a cross, the ball came back out to Shaun Roscoe whose cross was powerfully headed home by Hanley to give United the lead within the first 15 minutes.

Droylsden came forward looking for the equaliser and a corner that wasn’t fully cleared fell to striker Gavin Salmon at the edge of the box, Salmon shot for goal but was denied by the fingertips of Ashton.

United had a great chance to go two up when Wright squared the ball to Chris Baguley, it was easier for Baguely to score but he scuffed his shot over the bar.

Droylsden had a few chances towards the end of the half but nothing much of note, so United took a one goal lead into half time.

Coming out for the second half the home team looked like they were set on getting an equaliser, but couldn’t work any openings and when the Reds scored two goals in five minutes they looked like they had sealed the game.

The first of these goals was a wonder strike from Burns, who took Nicky Platt’s ball down on his chest on the edge of the box before unleashing a left foot shot that flew into the top left hand corner of Phil Seniors’ goal.

Buoyed on by this, United were playing fluently and when Platt fed in Cayne Hanley on the right, the former Rochdale trainee found himself one-on-one with Senior but chose to coolly square the ball to Patterson who slotted home to make it 3-0, much to the delight of the United faithful.

It wasn’t long before Droylsden replied when Gavin Salmon latched onto a cross from deep by Robbie Talbot and made it 3-1.

But it was United who were going to win the match and they were unlucky not to get a fourth when Jerome Wright took on two defenders only to be denied a goal by the feet of Senior.

The home team were awarded a penalty in the 90th minute, which was converted by Jamie Tandy. But United did enough to see out the stoppage time and claim a surprise victory and one of the biggest in the club’s short history.

United move onto the second round after dumping the last season’s holders and Conference North champions out at the first stage. Margy’s men must now turn their attention to a big league game on Saturday when they will move into second place if they beat promotion rivals Ossett Albion.

Craig Phillips


1. Sam Ashton
2. Liam Foster
3. Shaun Roscoe
4. Nicky Platt
5. Dave Brown
6. Rob Nugent
7. Cayne Hanley
8. Chris Baguely
9. Aaron Burns
10. Jerome Wright
11. Rory Patterson (captain)


12. Adam Carden
14. Dave Swarbrick (on for 7)
15. Colin Bell
16. Darren Lyons
17. Simon Carden (on for 11)

0---1-2007 at 25: 1

FC Utd Shop
  Order your FC Calendar
  Sponsor your club
UniBond League - 1st Div North
1 Curzon Ashton 12 17 28
2 FC United 11 14 22
3 Ossett Albion 13 0 22
4 Bamber Bridge 10 6 20
5 Lancaster City 12 -1 20
6 Garforth Town 12 2 18
7 Newcastle Blue Star 12 3 17
8 Mossely 12 -1 17
9 Bradford PA 10 12 16
10 Skelmersdale 10 5 16
11 Rossendale United 13 -10 15
12 Harrogate RA 11 -1 14
13 Woodley Sports 10 -1 13
14 Bridlington Town 14 -17 13
15 Wakefield FC 12 -3 12
16 Clitheroe 9 -5 7
17 Chorley 10 -8 7
18 Radcliffe Borough 9 -12 2